Here’s a surprising fact: in a recent British study, teenagers said that their second-biggest concern was ‘exam stress’. Isn’t it incredible that among all the issues that young people face today, stress is their second-biggest worry?
Today’s teens shouldn’t feel this way. Our youth is supposed to be the time in our lives when we experience lots of fun. It’s a time when we should be carefree and enjoying ourselves before entering the adult phase of life which brings more responsibilities (such as paying bills and raising children).
Yet, somehow, we’ve created a society that’s causing our young people to feel stressed and constantly under pressure, especially in the context of school and grades. It’s unacceptable and we need to do something to fix it.
To make things worse, too much of the wrong kinds of stress can actually inhibit the brain’s performance. It restricts the parts of the brain that deal with memory and recall, which is particularly harmful when you have tests coming up.
In this episode of The Unstoppable Teen Podcast, I’ll give you five solutions that teenagers can use to turn down the stress levels and experience more happiness.
Click on the player above to listen now!
You will learn:
- The trap that young people need to avoid if they want to reduce their stress levels. It has something to do with ‘external factors’. (3:51)
- Solution #1 – How deep breathing can help to reduce teen stress. You’ll hear some of the reasons we breathe poorly these days, as well as some techniques to improve your breathing. (5:01)
- Solution #2 – How getting the recommended amount of sleep can reduce teen stress. (8:15)
- What blue light (from screens) does to the brain and how it makes it more difficult to sleep. (10:42)
- Some of the mind-blowing findings of research on what getting an extra hour of sleep can do for you. (11:52)
- Solution #3 – How your hydration habits have a big impact on your stress levels. (12:27)
- Solution #4 – Why it’s important to eat the right foods and give yourself the nutrients you need if you want to reduce your stress levels. (14:46)
- That it’s important to consult your doctor or a health professional before making changes to your diet. (17:28)
- Solution #5 – How to reduce teen stress by avoiding procrastination. (18:57)
- A simple routine that a lot of successful people use to eliminate procrastination and take action on things they want to achieve. (20:07)
Helpful resources mentioned in this episode:
JuiceMaster.com provide inspirational videos and free tasty recipes you can use to improve your nutrition and hydration. You can also follow them on social media:
Invite Kevin Mincher to speak at your school!
Kevin’s performance-coaching seminars are packed with evidence-based strategies that are proven to improve student progress and achievement.For more information please call (UK) 0845 834 0848.
Want to ask Kevin a question? Got an inspiring story you want to share?